Canker sores are shallow ulcers that develop on the gums and inner lips. While they are small and typically not serious, they are very uncomfortable and can linger for days. We are here to help you recognize common triggers for canker sores so that you can avoid them as much as possible.
Here are five triggers to beware of:
– Stress reduces the immune system, increasing the risk of canker sores.
– Biting your cheek or lip which can result in tissue injury that develops into canker sores.
– Foods that are highly acidic can promote canker sores, and this includes tomatoes, sour candies, pineapples, strawberries and lemons.
– Dental appliances such as dentures and braces can cause friction that irritates the oral tissue and results in canker sores.
– Development of sickness and infection can tax the body to the point of canker sores.
By knowing what causes canker sores, you can effectively avoid the triggers. Remove problematic foods from your diet if possible, find solutions such as dental wax for irritating braces and address your stress levels with relaxation techniques. After this, if you still experience canker sores frequently, trying brushing your teeth gently with a sodium lauryl sulfate-free toothpaste and toothbrush with soft bristles and flush your mouth with a salt water rinse.
Contact Planet Dental at 956-242-4245 today if you have questions for our dentists about treatments for canker sores in Laredo, Texas.